Thursday, August 6, 2009

And then there was light . . .

Since the backsplash walls were opened to the studs after the removal of the old tile, I decided it was the perfect time to research under cabinet lighting. Lighting also helps to bring out the depth & movement of granite. I originally wanted puck lights but after doing a ton of research, I decided to go with xenon under-cabinet lights that could be hard-wired into the existing wiring/walls. I was able to pull power from an existing switch and I added another light switch with a dimmer. A dimmer allows them to be adjusted to a soft glow during a dinner party for ambiance or turned high for task lighting. The first time I threw the switch - angels started to sing and I was in awe!!! What a difference!!

If the lighting in your kitchen is not adequate, definitely consider adding some under-cabinet lights. Low voltage lights can be added to existing cabinets without the need for hard wiring. They sell low voltage kits in the big box stores or you can go to a local lighting store and check out their selection. I decided on xenon bulbs instead of halogen because they are suppose to run cooler. I also didn't want the harsh light of florescents and I wanted to use a dimmer. So make sure you consider all the lighting options before making a final choice.

Tip: Take pictures (or use a labeling system) of your wiring before you change it so you can remember how to put it back together! Also: TURN OFF THE POWER BEFORE STARTING ANY WIRING PROJECT!! Always call a professional if you are unsure or have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment