Friday, July 24, 2009

Countertops can be hard, in more ways than one

Ah yes, the wild and crazy world of countertops. There are soooo many options and all have their pros and cons. The kitchen originally had 12 x 12 Chinese granite tiles – they were boring and the coloring was a little odd but at least they were neutral. Unfortunately, the grout was starting to crumble and it was very hard to clean – and I HATE to clean grout – so I knew they would have to be replaced eventually. In the fall of ’08, we decided to replace the countertops with granite slabs – granite because of it’s ability to withstand stains and heat and it’s low maintenance.

Little did I know how hard it would be to remove all of the existing granite tiles. Each tile had to be smashed and pried up, then adhesive and grout had to be chiseled off, many screws removed and then the cement board chiseled off, adhesive and screws removed from the plywood and then finally the plywood. Whew - a HUGE pain in the backside. The granite tiles were also on the backsplash and when they were removed, all the drywall came with it.

After we started that whole process, we found out we couldn't have the granite installed when we wanted so we decided to wait until the Spring - and lived for 6 months with plywood counters and no drywall - what a lovely decorating statement.

After doing a lot of research and pouring through magazine and book photos, I decided on a dark granite countertop with a uniform pattern. I then traveled several hours to view different stone slabs but nothing "spoke to me" - so back to square one. Then I saw a beautiful Jerusalem Stone (limestone) in a kitchen design book and I was hooked. I immediately called the countertop fabricator but he said it would be a huge mistake as a kitchen countertop. So I went to get a stone sample and after pouring vinegar, oil, salsa, orange juice and other items on it, I decided he might be right - it left stains and etched the surface. I still thought that over time I would appreciate the patina but I was also concerned about resale value. Something I always try to keep in mind. Others might not find the patina charming. I called a real estate agent and asked him what people were looking for in a kitchen in this area. He told me low maintenance, nothing trending or unusual (like concrete or soapstone - which I love) and definitely light, open and airy spaces. So my search turned to finding a granite that looked like limestone or marble. However, not surprisingly, I discovered that was basically impossible: Granite looks like granite.

So the end result for the kitchen countertop (drum roll please):
  • instead of a dark color with uniform pattern, I choose a polished, light color granite (colonial cream) with "movement" (a distinctive pattern within the color)
  • AND a honed Durango/travertine stone (similar to limestone) for the master bath countertop.
Note: Backsplashes are still in the "design phase"

One choice down, hundreds more to go . . .

Tips:
  • Collect pictures of kitchens you like.
  • Research the types of countertop choices and the pros and cons.
  • Narrow down your choices but keep an open mind.
  • If using stone, always choose your slabs in person and take a cabinet door, floor sample and paint colors.
  • For any stone, make sure it is sealed appropriately if needed. Some light colored granites may need to have extra coats of sealer (mine needed 4 coats) and some dark colored granites may not need to be sealed at all.
  • If you need to replace the backsplash drywall, that would be a good time to run wiring for under cabinet lighting

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I was looking through countertops and came here since I have the same color in my kitchen. I was wondering if you could be of help. My walls are red and I want to know what colors would go with a light color granite (colonial cream) countertop? I want to get rid of the red and replace with a fresh look. WOuld love to send a picture so you may see what my kitchen looks like. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To find a new color for your walls, a great place to start is by looking at your colonial cream granite! Look closely - It will have many many beautiful colors to inspire you. If you choose a lighter color for your walls, it will highlight the light colors in your granite. If you choose one of it's many darker colors, the wall color will make the darker colors of the granite "pop." It just depends on what colors you want to emphasize. Colonial cream usually has beautiful greys, so you could pull out a light warm grey or go cooler and try a blue gray. If your kitchen is open to other rooms, you will want to make sure your new wall color is "harmonious" with connecting rooms. You could even take the new color and find decor accents to use in the adjoining rooms to "marry" the spaces.

    Once you narrow down the choices, get some sample colors from the paint store and paint each color on a 2x2 foot piece of wood, drywall, etc. Then place each board in the kitchen for a day and see how the color changes over each day and how it works with other colors in the kitchen. The light throughout the day will change the look of the wall color (and all other colors in the room). By living with the sample couple for a day or two, you should get a better feel for which color you prefer. And remember, it's only paint - you can always change your mind!!! Good luck & have fun!

    ReplyDelete