Sunday, July 26, 2009

House Dog Blog: Callie

Callie was our “first born.” She came into our lives almost 15 years ago. She’s had a hard year and we didn’t think she would make it past last Christmas, but here it is 8 months later. You go girl!!!!

Unfortunately, some of the “health issues” of older dogs can make it more of a challenge when choosing some decorative items and remodeling materials. I was hoping to replace the tile floors with wood but decided I needed to wait a bit longer – tile is easy to clean. Unfortunately, most of the beautiful plush rugs I have haven’t stood up well to various doggie functions, so I’ve had to switch strategies. Luckily, many stores now carry nice indoor/outdoor rugs in many different styles, colors and patterns. Carpet squares/tiles (such as www.flor.com ) are also another good choice since each square can be replaced or picked up and rinsed off. Rugs made of organic fibers - like seagrass or sisal – are also options.

There is one more solution that I have found extremely helpful for older dogs with special needs. However, it may be a bit unconventional for some people. Doggie Diapers. Yes, you read it correctly. I was very skeptical but after doing some research and finding a pair at PetSmart, I gave them a try. They work great! Doggie diapers can also be purchased at many different sites on-line. I use Poise adult pads to line Callie’s diapers and they work well. The things we do for love.

Isn't she precious!


No comments:

Post a Comment