Monday, October 31, 2011

This Year’s Fall/Winter Window Box Display



Happy Halloween Everyone!  As fall turns to late fall and with winter around the corner, I decided it was time to redesign the window boxes that hang on our Garden Shed.  The new display was made entirely from items I found in the garden and woods around the house. In the new window box, items from front to back are: white pine branches, old dried blue/purple/pink hydrangeas, boxwood branches, hydrangea tree blossoms, arborvitae branches, branches of rust/burgundy oak leaves, and branches from a Japanese maple patio plant.
I don’t know how long the arrangement will hold up but I did push each stem down into the well-watered soil in the box, hoping it would help their longevity.  Time will tell, but as long as we can keep heavy snow from doing damage, I’m hoping the materials will last through the winter season.



The "Before."  The cascading bridal veil plant was all that remained of the summer flowering plants. Since it wouldn’t be long before the freezing temps turned it brown, I decided to start from scratch.  I gave the bridal veil a drastic “haircut” and then began covering it with pine branches.  I continued to add and rearrange the natural elements until I was satisfied.







Natural elements that flourish during the summer season and then change in color and texture in the fall can be reincarnated in useful decorative ways and given a new look.  Other items that could be incorporated into your planters include:  pine cones, mini pumpkins and squash, twigs for height or added texture, curly willow branches, birch branches, mums, dried grasses, moss or wicker balls/spheres.  I even considered adding some beautiful, light green Christmas balls for a little sparkle but I think I’ll wait another month or so for that addition.


Repurpose, reuse, & recycle - even with natural materials. I’m extremely pleased with how my window boxes turned out this fall.  Thank you Mother Nature! 

No comments:

Post a Comment