Friday, October 28, 2011

The Winter Window Box Debate


Last year's Fall window box
A hard frost/freeze finally fell upon the area last night so it's now time to change out my window box display for the winter.  In the past few years, I've used ornamental cabbages in the fall because even after they freeze & die, they still have an interesting shape that lasts throughout the winter.  Note: I've also learned that you don't want the old dead cabbages near your entry/exit doors because the smell can be quite unpleasant.  Unfortunately this year, my cabbages got "leggy," grew strangely, and had to be put out of their (my) misery, so now I need a different window box filler.  It's not really necessary to fill a planter for the winter but I hate seeing them look so sad & empty and it's actually a bit depressing.

As I contemplate my next design, here are some photos that I'm using as inspiration:



At the moment, I’m leaning towards trying a design using sticks, dried hydrangea, & evergreen and boxwood branches.  Stay tuned….

No comments:

Post a Comment